Friday, January 13, 2012

Little Carpenter...

While we wait for the baby to make his/her appearance we have been busy getting the house ready. Our one major project, (I should say Chris' major project) for the last few months was turning an old door into a headboard! He finished it before he came home for Christmas, but it wasn't distressed and it ended up being more blue than black, so he repainted it and Charlotte and I helped him distress it!

The night before we went to Lowe's so Chris could get a few things he wanted with his gift card from his wonderful parents!!! Charlotte had a blast running around and even picked out her own tool belt. She was very excited to put it on in the morning and start working!
Charlotte did a great job or removing the nails from the wood that held the tarp over the door during the night. Chris painted a bit too late the night before...

I love the look of determination on her face!
Of course she wanted to do some more hammering, so Chris set her up with her own wood so she could hammer away.

She was a little off most of the time...
Nevertheless, she was very pleased with her creation!
Here is a picture of the door when Chris bought it. It took a lot of stripping and standing to get it ready to paint. He then added crown moulding!And after a long day of painting, sanding and mounting, our bed is finally complete! New linens were Christmas presents as well! Our room finally looks somewhat like an adults bedroom. (You can't see all the baby stuff hiding in the corner!)I am proud to say that I sanded most of the little circles and squares, and boy was that fun. I did end up with some paint on my belly and a sore back that night, but it was well worth it! We probably could have bought a bed for the same price that we ended up spending (tools included, since Chris didn't have many of the right ones) but it is so much more special that we made it!

2 comments:

  1. Nice job on the headboard! and I'm sure Papa has some carpentry jobs he can do with Charlotte next time she's here. Nice baby belly!!!! xo JGrammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Papa says it reminds him of when he was five and he started carpentry...picking up nails in the houses that were being built in the neighborhood, and building things just like Charlotte built. He says, "She must have a good teacher! And the headboard looks excellent!" Love, Us

    ReplyDelete