On September 4th (which we realized after the fact was 9 years to the day that Chris and I met!) Chris and I left early in the morning to drive to the hospital to meet the newest member of the family. When we arrived we got put in our room which was the size of a hotel room (if not bigger) and got ready for surgery!
Our sweet nurse Sheri read in the file what Chris used to do for work, giving him a GIANT outfit to wear. She clearly thought he was bigger than he really is! We all had a good laugh!
I have to say that this experience was by far the best birthing experience I have had, far from what I ever intended. After two failed natural births ending in C-Sections, this planned section was calm, I was able to relax and enjoy the birth. Our whole experience was great. They let us know they were ready for us and we walked across the hall to the delivery room. Chris waited outside and played Angry Birds while they prepped me for surgery. Once we were ready Chris came in and we waited! It took a little while for them to get the baby out, it seemed like forever since I was actually fully aware of what was going on this time, but it couldn't have been more than 15 minutes. Chris kept peeking over the drape and between him and the anesthesiologist Joe, we entertained ourselves while we waited. We had a good laugh when I commented that I thought I could still feel something. Joe replied "don't worry, they are going to poke you with a lot of sharp instruments to see if you can feel anything". He then rephrased what he said with "they are going to make sure you don't feel anything before they start". We were lucky to have a great team.Finally they let us know that they were about to pull the baby out. Chris stood up with the camera and got ready! (He got some actual shots of them pulling the baby out but I thought I'd save those for us!) Chris announced with lots of excitement that it was a boy and off he went with Killian over to get checked out.
We announced that his name was Killian James and they set to work checking him out and getting him ready to bring to meet me. His Apgar scores were 9 and 10, meaning he was really healthy.
Chris cut the cord and they finished getting him cleaned up and checked out.
Finally Chris brought Killian over to meet me. It was a great feeling being awake and aware of what was going on.
They really encouraged skin to skin as soon as possible, so they unwrapped Killian and put him right on my chest while the doctors finished stitching me back up.
It wasn't the easiest holding him there, as my arms were strapped down (I talked Joe into letting me have one free arm) so Chris took him soon after. We just waited a little longer while they stitched before heading back to our room.
The nice thing about the hospital was we had the same room for recovery and postpartum which we have never had before. Usually they bring you to an open bay recovery room for a while, then transfer you to the postpartum floor. It was so nice being in the same room right across the hall. And they also let me eat/drink right after surgery.
We spent the afternoon hanging out with Killian and calling/texting people letting them know the baby was born and was a boy!
Sometime in the afternoon, Sheri (our nurse) gave Killian his first bath.
She combed his hair and got him all nice and clean.
He opened his eyes for the first time and then went right back to sleep!
What a wonderful, unforgettable day in our lives!!
























Wonderful photos! Can't wait to see Killian and his sisters tomorrow! xo,JGrammy
ReplyDelete